Monday, January 25, 2010

D.C.

Washington D. C. - January 9 -16, 2010

After at least five years, Nathan and I were able to leave our kids for more than one night! We were fortunate to have my mom and dad come to our home and tend them! The kids were thrilled and so were we. I guess we all needed a break from each other.

We flew out of Salt Lake and had a short layover in Denver. I was able to read the fifth and sixth books in the "Great and Terrible" series while we were gone. When I have time, I love to read! It really brings me a lot of satisfaction. I just started Dan Brown's, "The Lost Symbol." I wish I could have read it in D.C. because that's where it takes place.

We got to go to D.C. because Nathan had a TRB Conference there. He attended this conference two years ago and told me I had to come this time. I wasn't too sure about leaving the kids but when mom and dad said they could tend I was all on board.


Our plane and the airport in Denver.



We stayed at the Hilton near DuPoint Circle, downtown D.C. It was just newly remodeled in my favorite colors of blue and browns. Because Nate is a Hilton honors member, we got to stay on the executive floor where they had breakfast, an open bar and snacks all day.


Our first day in D.C. was a Sunday so we rode the Metro to church. On our way there we met another couple from Utah who had in D.C. were attending the same conference. They were sweet and led us the rest of the way to the church which used to be an old Safeway. It was sure a small building and folding chairs were used in the chapel.

After church we walked to the "Mall" which is the big area where the capitol, most of the Smithsonian's, and monuments are. We went through two of my favorites, the Museum of Natural History, and the Museum of American History.

This is in the beautiful National Gallery of Art West building. I later realized this is where much of the "Night at the Museum, Battle of the Smithsonian," was filmed.

Natural History Museum
Of all the museums, I would say kids would enjoy this one the most.

Natural History Museum
The animals here were all stuffed and quite fascinating.

Nate in the Museum of American History. This is in the transportation part - very fitting for Nate's profession.

Nate with the big Tyrannosaurus Rex behind him.

Me in front of the Natural History Museum.

I loved looking at all the beautiful jewels. Many belonged to kings and queens.

Natural History Museum

Julia Child's Kitchen! - American History Museum

Going down, down, down, down into the metro. Wow! The metro was a whole new world to me. It was scary, exhilarating, and fun all at the same time. At first I was so nervous and worried I would get lost or mugged, but after a couple rides alone I felt safe and sure of myself.

The famous Air and Space Museum.

One day Nate was able to take a break and we rode the metro to Arlington National Cemetery. This is the big Colosseum right behind the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I felt like I was in Rome.

We watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was a very solemn experience. It's amazing they keep this guard up 24 hours a day 365 days a year no matter rain, snow, blizzard, hail, etc. It was bitter cold (bone chilling with the humidity) the day we were there. I really hoped their uniforms were warmer than my coat!

On my last day alone, I treated myself to Madame Tussaurd's Wax Museum. I really enjoyed it! They were so life-like it scared me at first because I thought they'd all the sudden come to life. They created them to their exact measurements, so it was fun to see how tall or short past presidents, movie stars, athletes, singers, etc. were in comparison to me.

The Obama's. They're really tall!

Jennifer Lopez. I was surprised at how tiny and short she really is.

The atrium of the National Gallery of Art Building. I sat in here and ate my lunch one day.

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were in the Gallery of Art Museum. I really enjoyed looking at art. It's so amazing and beautiful.
A view from the Old Post Office building. From here I finally understood why they call this area the Federal Triangle!

The amazing Capitol Building. We took a tour of it just before we flew home. Nathan was able to line it up through Utah's Senator, Bob Bennett's office.
An awesome view from the new visitor's center built below the ground.

The amazing artwork painted around the dome.
The painting on the ceiling of the dome.

Because of their weight, this statue and many others have been moved into the new visitor's center. They were causing too much stress on the floor.

The Old Post Office Building

My favorite.
The Washington Monument

After being on my feet all day, Nate and three of his co-workers met me at the center of the mall around 6:00 p.m. We took a "long" walk to see all the famous monuments at night. It was wonderful but I was freezing cold, hungry, and my legs had had it. I had painful shin splints during most of our trip. I really enjoyed seeing these amazing monuments and loved the personal tour we had of F.D.R.'s. We took the metro back to DuPoint and finally had dinner around 8:30 - 9:00. I was exhausted.

Nate and I really enjoyed this trip and our time away from the kids. I learned so much and have a greater desire now to learn more about American history. It was so good for me and helped me realize I'm still capable of learning and doing things on my own. I feel revitalized and ready now to set and keep some goals I've been wanting to make for a very long time. I loved this city and have a greater appreciation for our past presidents and all the men and women who fought and gave their lives for our freedom we now enjoy.
Thank you Nathan for taking me on this trip and believing in me.
Thanks mom and dad for making such a big sacrifice to take such good care of our kids.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh Jenny, that sounds like such a great experience. I am really proud of you. Makes me excited to go there in a month and a half. wish you tow would still be around so we could experience DC together. Too bad I'll have my kids in tow the whole time:-) The pictures are all so fun too!

Jill Lau said...

What a fun trip. It was fun to see all your pictures. The wax museum is so fun. I liked your picture with the Obama's. love ya

Liz said...

What a fun trip. I am glad you got to go with Nate! I would probably have sat in the hote. I am to scared to go out on my own!

Liz

Tayna said...

What an amazing experience you had! So many great pictures. I'm so glad you got to go. I'm so impressed that you went off so much by yourself. You are brave!

Smith Memos said...

It looks like you had a fun trip. Glad you got to have a little get away.

Angela said...

Hi Jen, yes it seems that blogging takes too much effort and we've all fizzled...but I'm back in the mood again. We are all on facebook so people do that more but I like this for keeping a "scrapbook" of my kids and events.
I went TDY with my mom to DC right after I graduated HS. I loved looking at your pics cause it brought back memories. I didn't appreciate it as much back then as I would now. My favorite was the Changing of the guard, so much respect and dedication. Larry and I went to Madame Tusseau's wax museum this fall in Hollywood. :) It's so nice to have family who will watch our kids huh! I hope I'll be that great of a grandma to my own children and grandchildren!
I love to read too. I'll have to try the "Great and Terrible" series. Jon and Debbie got me reading Dan Brown and I love his books.
Good to hear from you!

Unknown said...

Hi Jen! Your pictures really make me want to take a trip like you did. There is so much to see and learn there. I still want to talk to you about it and hear first hand about your experience. I love ya and hope you have a great week!
Holly